January 16

Persuasive for a 4 Day School Week

Dear Prosper School Board,

My name is Alex Wells and I am a current grade 12 student in Prosper High School. I have noticed that the board is considering a proposal to adopt a four-day school week from Monday to Thursday. From gathering information through various sources, I think that it would be a great idea to accept the proposal. Throughout the years of being in Prosper High School, I have heard from friends and other people that they are spending too much time on homework and projects to the point that they barely get any sleep. This causes them to be really tired in the mornings of school. I believe accepting this proposal would be great for students and staff, because it may help everyone if they focus better if they weren’t tired through the week days.

As a senior, I have noticed that our technology in this school is starting to get outdated compared to other schools, and also understand about Prosper School’s current budget towards our maintenance, power and operations. If we were to adopt the four day school week, it would save more budgets of the school which we could use to get better technologies for students such as computers and supplies. From looking at the current graph and looking at the predicted values of the projected costs, we would save a total of 24 thousand dollars. This money could be used to further modernize this school, and will not cause any panic when it reaches a point that the school doesn’t have sufficient funds to continue. Students will also be able to participate more in outside school activities, such as the Prosper Youth Centre programs. These programs allow students to relax and have fun with others during the day, which can help them get back into focus on school days.

Parents and some students find it troubling that kids may just stay home or how scheduling may affect certain activities. “I want my kid in school Mon to Fri when I’m at work, not in front of the TV all day. The thought of unsupervised Fridays off gives me nightmares!” Parents may also share the same opinion as this one, but remember that there are also activities that also happen outside of school that an individual can get interested, such as hanging out with friends, or joining the Prosper Youth Programs that is being offered in regards to a four-day school week. This also gives the individual an opportunity to volunteer towards other programs that can help improve our community. If parents also worry that their child may not like the idea of outside activities, they can also refer to the website www.costlinetravel.com, which provides information on three day vacations that can lure them away from distracting items such as television or gaming.

From a recent poll website fast poll, High School Staff seemed to want a four day school week, to relax or even plan for their next lessons on a Monday. Monica Pham, a math teacher, had displayed information that the idea of a four-day week allows them more time to plan and prepare for lessons, as well as the statistic that students attend their classes more on four-day weeks compared to five-day weeks.  This statistic benefits both the school and students, as it allows students more free time to hang around with friends and teachers some time to relax and plan carefully for their next lesson. According to the Academic Journal in 2016, it has stated that teens must have sufficient sleep in order to focus properly, and just by reducing sleep can cause them to drop mental alertness. Students normally have to wake up around 6-7 Am to get to school, and considering that some students sleep at around 10 Pm – 12Am, they only get around 6-9 hours of sleep. An extra day means they would be able to catch up on their sleep as they would receive an extra 2-3 hours, which could help them focus better on their studies.

Prosper School should really accept the proposal of the four-day week, as it would really save school budgets which could be used to improve students learning through modern technology. This would also involve more student activities to outside programs, and increase their attendance in schools. Without this proposal, students would end up being tired in class, but reducing the days of school would give them one day to relax and spend more time with friends and family. Thank you for taking the time to read and consider my arguments in the letter and take these facts to make your final decision towards the proposal. If you want any more information or any questions, you may contact my email, Alex.W@gmail.com. I can’t wait to hear your decision whether to accept or reject the proposal.

Tags:

Posted January 16, 2020 by miguel912 in category Miguel, Sept 2019