October 4

Certainty of Happiness

The Certainty of Happiness

The only certainty in our life is the act of birth and the guarantee of death, everything else in between is uncertain, it is our job to fill these spots with what we desire. It is our job to live a life worth living, feeling emotions worth sharing, and making decisions worth exploring. Many humans often go through life yearning for happiness, wasting their life away hoping they run into it. It is often uncertain to them that it is essential for us to create our own happiness. This is due to the idea that internal happiness is our most permanent commitment. This photograph is centered on two children playing soccer even when surrounded by poverty and war. The message being portrayed is that even during times of hardships, children have a tendency to create happiness within themselves.

It is uncertain what circumstances we might be put under, but if we have hope in our hearts, we are able to face them all. The focal point of this photograph lies on a man holding a gun in his hand. The man portrays possession of wealth and security, this is indicated by the watch upon his wrist and the cleanliness of his shoes. This rifle is often used to strike fear upon others while also symbolizing signs of war and dictatorship. The mans right leg is firmly placed on the higher end of the cement, asserting ideas of power and domination. Contrasting with the man’s elegance, the background displays broken buildings and trash on the streets. Easily juxtaposing the impeccable condition of the streets and buildings on the opposing side, near the man. This indicates the class differences and their heights within a society. Another striking detail is the broken slipper on the street, it is symbolizing abandonment as it lies in the middle of nowhere. Being left alone can lead to despair and unhappiness, but feeling this despair and unhappiness does not lead to being secure. Poverty is the main theme displayed by these signs as there is inadequate amounts of filth lying around the streets. These dusty buildings and filthy streets set up a mood of depression and longing.

The one certainty to adopt throughout challenges is that, life runs not according to our hardships, but rather the mindset we face them with. The background of this photograph consists of the two boys playing soccer with a dusty old net while one runs of after the ball. The boy holds an expression of joy and absolute bliss, much like sacred prayer for which there are no words. This form of joy is eternal and contagious for the people who are fortunate enough to witness it. This boy is oblivious towards his circumstances, as if he does not see the world crumbling around him. His strength lifts up the broken walls and in that moment the only thing he feels, the only thing he is able to become is ecstatic. Maybe somewhere in his heart he is aware of the danger that lies upon him, aware of the poorly established lifestyle he has inherited. Yet this boy dismisses feelings of pity and instead forces light to brighten up his dark path. Pity is a funny thing you see, you either stray from it’s grasp or it completely engulfs you, either way the choice is ultimately ours. The boy makes a wise choice, he chooses to not wait around for someone to come rescue him in his time of need, his happiness is self-dependent. Therefore, he has control over how long it will last as he did not need anyone else to offer it to him.

If you are going to be certain of one thing, make it be the idea of inspiring others through the strength you display, especially when you lack it the most. Colours have a powerful way of setting the mood of the given scenario. The colours in this photograph are overpowered by dull shades, such as brown ,green, and black. These shades represent a sense of melancholy, easily associating with the idea of death. Death of emotions, hopes and dreams are the worst form of death, as it is a type of pain we endure internally. Although in this photo the only exception to this solemn theme is the boy, as he is dressed in a bright red shirt. Even turmoil cannot wipe away the innocence that sparks and radiates within him. His bright red shirt matches the color of poppies that grew after rough times. He is symbolizing light and hope, he is our heart in human form. He is light that shines among others, that inspires and helps others recognize it as well.

There is no certainty of an easy lifestyle, but it is certain that in order to life a worth living, we must create pleasure within ourselves. We must mend ourselves and nourish our souls with optimistic thoughts, even when surrounded by hopelessness. If both our hands are chained to the ground, it is up to us to pray from our hearts. Happiness is an act that is best experienced when created rather than found. Happiness that is found is often temporary and we do not hold the power to make it stay. If we wait around for it we might be waiting forever. Forever is a fearful risk that is not worth taking. Finding happiness during hard times is a difficult task, but sometimes that is all we are able to do.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Posted October 4, 2017 by eeshana in category Eesha, Sept 2017

5 thoughts on “Certainty of Happiness

1. gurnoor

Dear Eesha,
    I loved this piece!! The way that you used all the little details in the image to create meaningful connections to the human condition was carried out excellently throughout the piece. The way that you symbolically looked at all the details really gave me a new way of looking at the picture. It helped me look past the picture itself and focused my attention on the bigger image. “Pity is a funny thing you see, you either stray from it’s grasp or it completely engulfs you, either way the choice is ultimately ours”. I was so touched by this quotation of yours. It shows how even in an emotion like pity, it is your choice to what extent you would like for it to affect you. I also really appreciated how you incorporated the theme at the end of your piece. This made me realize how important it is for me to ensure that I am aware of my feelings because, at the end of that day they inform the way that I view my life and the positives and negatives within it.

One thing that I think that could help you enhance your writing would be to try and focus on some details of the image instead of trying to cover the entire image.

This is a very touching and meaningful piece that really is able to grasp the true meaning behind the image. Good job!!

Sincerely,
    Gurnoor

Reply
    1. eeshana (Post author)

Gurnoor,

Thank you so much for that, wow, I am so glad you enjoyed my piece. You are truly the kindest girl, I admire you for that. I feel so much gratitude towards you. Thank you for also pointing out the importance of looking at details rather than the whole picture. I also believe that is equally important. I’ll be sure to add more details into my work and analyze it further.

Overall, Thank you so much for reading my blog and providing such kind hearted feedback.

Eesha

Reply
  2. gurnoorch

Dear Eesha,
    I thought that this piece is a very well written and structured piece. It really encapsulates the deeper meaning found behind the image. By reading it I have been able to analyze the image in a different and unique way. You have been to successfully do something that I am striving to do so myself within my writing and that is taking an image presented and being able to connect it to something that is experienced by individuals today, making the piece of work relatable to individuals on a more personal level.

One thing that I think that you can improve upon is trying to focus your thoughts and writing onto one aspect of the image instead of trying to capture the entire image.

I am really glad that I got the privilege to read a piece of work as amazing as yours. I hope that my comment and other individuals’ as well encourages you to continue to make such works of art, because you are truly gifted.

Sincerely,
    Gurnoor

Reply
  3. nicolenk

Dear Eesha

Your work was amazing. l loved your wording choices. My favorite line was “Happiness is an act that is best experienced when created rather than found”, l truly believe that is true.

One thing l noticed was that there was some grammar errors, which l think that you could have easily fixed after revisiting your work.

This was amazing. I wish to read more from you in the future.

Sincerely,

Nicole

Reply
    1. eeshana (Post author)

Nicole,
      Thank you so much for reading my blog and I’m so glad you were able to relate with it as well. This means a lot to me. I really appreciate the feedback as well and I’ll be sure to work on my grammatical errors.

Eesha

Reply