December 31

To Have a Dress Code or Not?

Thank you Prosper High School Administration for considering my proposal, whether to adopt a school dress code or not. My name is Quinn Whitley and I am a grade 12 student at Prosper High School. I was invited to share my concerns and perspective on the possible dress code at the high school. I am aware that there is a concern about how students dress can allegedly affect  grades and the overall environment of the school. But I am here to discuss  that the administration should reject the proposal of adopting a school dress code and support the opponents who believe this dress code would restrict the rights of students and parents. There would limit the recreational opportunities and less student participation in the community, and a loss of self identity and expression. Lastly, students of Prosper High School are losing the ability to understand the constant changes in perspectives of dress and fashion over time.

First off, teenagers need to be given opportunities to participate in the local community such as the upcoming event ‘Beach Bash’, sponsored by the student union. This is an excellent way for students to engage in something in their amusement rather than their video games and cellphones, which most parents do reject. Students like to dress in ways that express who they are. Clothing is another way for students to express themselves and many students in the school believe clothing is a way for them to be themselves. Local community activities and events allow students to bond and express themselves in society. But with this dress code, students would not be allowed to wear the appropriate attire for this activity due to the dress code.

Students believe that they have the opportunity and freedom to express themselves by wearing the latest fashion and clothes. I was always told by the elders in my family that fashion and perspectives are changing over time. We should have the freedom to wear whatever we desire and not be confronted with adversity of what clothing is acceptable by the school board and what is not because it is not justified to confront individuals with what is appropriate attire to wear at school. Students should be exploring who they are while they grow up and should be able to keep up with the latest fashion if desired.

Thank you for your time and consideration for my perspective on the following concern about adopting a school code at the Prosper High School. Adopting a school dress code will restrict the freedoms and rights of students and parents; freedom of expression and the right to dress according to their own choice. Hopefully, you take consideration to reject the proposal of adopting a dress code due to students needs and wants.

Tags: ,

Posted December 31, 2017 by sapnap in category Sapna