October 31

Stand Up For Your Beliefs

We all have certain beliefs and moral values that we cherish, rights and wrongs that we recognize, and it is our duty to stand up for these things In life. There are often situations where these ethical values of ours are tested, such as a workplace that is being racist, or a colleague that is being discriminated against, but no matter what happens we should always stand up for what we believe is right. At times this can lead you to stand up against your boss, friends, and sometimes even family, but in the end, its all worth it because at no expense should our morals and beliefs be compromised or ignored. They are the factors that shape who we are as a person, and when we see situations where our beliefs or morals are being acted against, we should take a stand. Our morals and beliefs define who we are and when we don’t stand up for them, it defeats our purpose in life as we are being untrue with ourselves.

Image result for stand up for your beliefs

http://soundofheart.org/galacticfreepress/content/standing-your-beliefs-group-opposition-what-changes-your-world

A few years ago, in grade eight there was an experience for me in which I had to stand up for my beliefs. I had this group of friends that I had met in grade six, which was the first year I joined this school. There were only five of us but in two years all of us had become close friends. We truly cared for each other and we believed that we would be good friends for a while, maybe even forever. As we got into grade eight, the rule in our school that we could not go off campus was lifted, and so at lunch, we were able to go to the places around our school such as Seven Eleven or Pizza Hut. For the first month of the school year, everything was fine, we would often go to Seven Eleven and buy food or drinks for each other. Then this one day, none of us brought any money, one of my friends suggested we still go to Seven Eleven just for fun. As we all got there, my friends and I were talking and the same friend that suggested for us to come to Seven Eleven, suggested that we should just steal. Right away, all my other friends agreed. Then they all looked at me to also approve but instead, I shook my head in disagreement. Stealing is something that I have always been morally against, I truly believe stealing is wrong and that one should be honest by buying their own stuff. They all asked me why I disagreed and I explained to them that it is wrong, but they all persisted that it didn’t matter. After arguing for a few minutes I finally exclaimed that if they did steal from there, I would stop talking to them. I still don’t know if they didn’t take me seriously or just didn’t care, but the four of them still went inside and came back out with pockets full of candy. Afterward, I completely ditched my friends, I stopped talking to them and started hanging out with a completely different group of people, those friends often tried to contact me and get me to hang out with them, but I ignored them because at this point I had realized that they were bad company.

We can never be afraid to stand up for what is right, no matter what others may say. And sometimes, if that means taking a lonely road, if what we are standing for is true, then perhaps moonlight or sunshine will light our way and make it less lonely.

Pramila Jayapal

My anecdote shows that one must always stand up for what is right, even if it means ditching your best friends. This quote is also explaining a similar message, conveying that you should always stand up for your beliefs even if you are alone. Furthermore, it states that if whatever we are standing up for is true to ourselves then it won’t be as lonely as it seems. Nevertheless, standing up against the wrongs of others is essential, because when one person stands up, then often several others are motivated to stand up, creating a change towards something more ethical. Not only that, living a life in which you conform to the unethical actions of others, is a life not worth living. The act of always standing up for what you believe in may be defined as courage or just plain stupidity, but even If it is truly considered stupid, then maybe we all should be stupid.

Tags: , , ,

Posted October 31, 2018 by hassanso in category Hassan, Sept 2018

4 thoughts on “Stand Up For Your Beliefs

1. razalg

Dear Hassan,

Your blog was written very well. It’s amazing to hear that what great of a person you are that denied stealing even though all of your friends were going to. You remind me of myself, I am against stealing and think its something that you should never do. I’m proud of you for going against your friends even though you guys were very close. Overall this blog is very well written.

Some suggestions I have for you, are to try to make your paragraphs smaller, as they are really long, they sometimes made me wanna skip and move to the next paragraph. Otherwise, this blog was very well written.

You are a very good writer with a really strong connection to your topic. You bring the reader into your situation and it helps the reader to stay engaged. Very well done!

Sincerely, Razal

Reply
  2. moosa1

Dear Hassan,

I really enjoyed reading your blog Hassan. It had lots of creative ideas and I could relate to parts of it. You had lots of detail and amazing ideas in it. I think it was perfect in that manner. Your quote that you choose was perfect for this topic.

One thing you can improve on is in more detail in your personal example. Overall you had a lot of detail, but could have more in your personal example.

I think your blog was amazing keep up the good work.

Sincerely, Moosa.

Reply
  3. hassanso (Post author)

Dear Razal,

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and comment. The feedback that you have given me is very useful it has really helped me to improve my writing. After reading your comment, I read my blog again and I also noticed that the paragraphs were a bit too long. Thanks for telling me about this and I will try to be more concise in my writing.

Thank you again for taking the time to read my blog and comment. I appreciate you being honest with me and telling me my big mistakes instead of trying to be nice. I will consider this feedback for my next blog and I will try to apply what you have told me.

Sincerely Hassan.

Reply
  4. hassanso (Post author)

Dear Moosa,

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and commenting on it. You have given me some very useful feedback that I will definitely use in the future. I agree with you that I should have been more detailed for my personal. For my next few blogs, I will try to be as detailed as I can for my personal because I also believe its one of the most important parts of the blog.

You have definitely helped me out a lot with your comment by giving me some very useful feedback. I will consider your feedback for my other blogs. You have been a very trustworthy peer for me and I know that I can always rely on you for help. Thanks again for reading my blog.

Sincerely Hassan.

Reply