January 10

The Forgiving Heart (Free Choice)

My poem was inspired by one of the themes form P. K. Page’s poem called “Sisters”. When l read the poem my mind thought about forgiveness. Forgiveness is not only about forgiving other individuals, it could be also about letting go of the burden you carry within yourself. Normally when l hear the word ‘forgive”, l think about forgiving myself because they are other times in life where l have blamed myself for someone’s death or actions because l felt that l had let them down. Life is full of ups and downs but sometimes we learn to let go, let go of the pain or burdens. It teaches us that everything in life happens for a reasons, God know what he is doing. Letting go of grudges and bitterness. When someone you care about hurts you, you can hold on to anger, resentment and thoughts of revenge — or embrace forgiveness and move forward. … These wounds can leave you with lasting feelings of anger and bitterness — even vengeance. To be able to forgive we have to learn to accept the situation, without acceptance no one can ever move forward.

Forgive is to forget right.
Then why does it hurt?
Then why does my throat clench up and my eyes start to water?
If forgive is to forget, shouldn’t l be smiling.
Is something a matter with me?

NO!

Forgive is not to forget.
Forgive is to move forward.
Forgive is to accept
To accept that the past is real and it will always be there.
To accept that the pain will dull, but never fully go away.
To accept that everything that happens to you is a lesson.
To forgive is to show how much you’ve grown.
To understand that we are all humans and humans make mistakes.
To forgive and accept that you finally understand the lessons you were taught.

Forgiveness is both easy and hard.
it hurts and pleases the heart.
It lets you know that the pain is there, despite how much stronger you have grown.

The fear and dread you feel when you have those words.
The conflict you feel as you question whether you should forgive or hold on.

Past hatred and pain comes back and whisper in you ear.
You may want to stay bitter and regret the apology that’s been given to you.
However, to do that is to refuse to grow.
Forgiveness is the hardest thing human can do,
But sometimes in the end it’s worth it and helps you move even further in life.

Tags: , , , , ,

Posted January 10, 2018 by nicolenk in category Nicole, Sept 2017

2 thoughts on “The Forgiving Heart (Free Choice)

1. muskaanr

Dear Nicole,

Wow! This is such a strong piece. It is such a motivational poem that has inspired me to forgive and forget. Moving forward is essential if you want to accomplish anything in life. You are such an amazing writer. I love the way that every detail weaves together to form such an impactful piece.

One thing I would work on is punctuation. You accidentally spelt certain words wrong which kind of confused me while reading this piece. Words such as form when you are trying to say from can impact how the reader interprets your piece.

Overall you are such an amazing writer! Please never stop writing!

Love,

Muskaan

Reply
  2. zahakh

Dear Nicole,

Your writing is true and relatable. Honestly, the meaning of forgiveness is incredibly vague, and by reading your poem it has made a lot of sense to me now. I am honoured to be your friend and to have the opportunity to read your writing. Your incredible writing.

The only thing that I would suggest is to either to go over it yourself or get someone to edit it for you. For example, in the lines, “The conflict you feel as you question whether you should forgive or hold on. Past hatred and pain comes back and whisper in you ear.” Add a comma before whether and a couple of commas to separate past, hatred and pain.

I hope that even past high school I am still able to read your writing. To read and be like, “Yea, this is Nicole.” Through your writing I am able to understand you more and I feel that I am brought closer to you.

Love, Zaha

Reply