December 2

Reflection is the Most Significant Virtue

Image result for quotes about identity and society

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/324259241893099085/

The struggle I have in coming to terms with my identity is that sometimes it gets hard to accept who you really are; especially for me because I feel that I have a different identity than everyone else due to the fact that I wear a turban everyday to school. This struggle for accepting who I am was initially when I moved to Canada; I would feel left out from many activities for the soul purpose that I wore a turban. People would bully me and create a barrier of depression and self-guilt for being this way. This seriously caused me to take an action to get rid of this barrier, and so, I decided to cut my hair and solve the problem right there and then. But thankfully, my parents made me realize what the meaning of wearing a turban is, and that this was the fight I had to fight in order to find my place in society; that the meaning to wear a turban was to destroy this exact type of class system, to be represented equally among all.

Every now and then people challenge my identity, and bury me into that cycle of self-guilt. But what makes me fight is that I have certainty in my identity, and the support of friends and family who keep reinforcing my identity and make me realize who I truly am. But what also I realized was how important it is for people to know the meaning of respecting ones look, ones speech, ones actions and ones personality. Respect destroys the barrier other people have made, and that is what made me break mine. I understood that for a new person to join a white school and suddenly mix in was not a possibility, it takes understanding of their perspective of how they were raised and what is making them act this way. To this day, I still reflect upon the fact that I ever had the courage to go against my identity, and know that to improve yourself as a human, you have to keep challenging your identity; find your mistakes and simply learn from them and learn from society who is your biggest critic, and your greatest friend.

Posted December 2, 2018 by ravneetk in category Ravneet, Sept 2018, Uncategorized

2 thoughts on “Reflection is the Most Significant Virtue

1. alym

Dear Ravneet

I really enjoyed your blog about how you had a hard road to come to terms with you identity. the thing I liked most was your story about how you kept your turban and to fight your rights and prove to everyone that you would not give up that easily. One thing you could add is something about your life before you came to Canada. Every thing else is great and you should keep writing. You should never let anyone bully you because of where you are from or for what you believe in.

Sincerely,
    Aly

Reply
    1. ravneetk (Post author)

Dear Aly,

Thank you for reading by blog. I appreciate how you have noticed my hardships and struggles through my writing. I will work on improving my writing and making clear and specific statements so the readers can truly understand my emotions.

Sincerely,
      Ravneet

Reply